Completed in summer 2016, new light-filled, informal worship and social spaces create an everyday focus to a synagogue anchored by a traditional masonry sanctuary.
A reform congregation, Temple Israel of Hollywood members sought improvements that kept pace with evolving attitudes towards worship, education, identity and community; which 40 years of additions and renovations no longer advanced. Addressing contemporary practice in the progressive congregation called for flexible, interactive social and worship space informally infused with Jewish spirit and traditions.
The core of this last phase is the new chapel, and social hall renovation. Expansive glazing around the chapel offers views to the outdoors to reveal the previously disconnected historic sanctuary beyond. The existing administrative wing’s 1949 north facade was reinstated to form a gallery for the Temple’s Judaica collection, which connects the sanctuary to the new chapel. Between, the new lobby creates a welcoming meeting place.