A new entry and exhibition space connect a national register 1890s post office with a 1939 planetarium, highlighting the two historic stone landmarks with a contrasting steel and glass-framed space. The addition is wrapped in an ”articulated cloud” of translucent plastic flaps that move in the wind developed in collaboration with artist Ned Khan. When completed, the Museum was the largest Silver LEED museum in the country, featuring adaptive reuse, recycled materials, and passive shading.
The museum believed that places for children rebuild neighborhoods and this has been the case here and the museum has expanded to include the adjacent vacant historic library building and a new children’s park. We have continued to assist the museum with improvements including a feasibility study for re-use of the library.